Good ol‘ England is calling!
- 50g /1/2 stick butter
- 225g /2 cups plain / all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 30g /1 oz caster / fine sugar
- 50g /1/4 cup Cranberrys
- 150 ml /1/4 pint milk
- 1 egg beaten with a little milk
- Heat the oven to 400F/205C/Gas 6
- Generously grease a baking sheet with butter then sprinkle with flour.
- Sieve the flour into a roomy baking bowl, add the cubed butter, the baking powder and salt. Quickly rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and the dried fruits, mix well.
- Make a well in the center and using a dinner knife, stir in enough milk to make a soft, pliable dough.If the dough is too sticky sprinkle with a little flour.
- Turn the mixture on to a floured board and knead very lightly until just smooth then lightly roll out to 2cm / 3/4″ thick.
- Cut rounds with a 7.5cm /2″ cutter or cut into triangles with a sharp knife.
- Place on the baking tray and brush with the beaten egg and milk mixture. Bake near the top of the hot oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and well risen.
- Cool on a wire rack before eating.